Stonar is a traditional British day & boarding school for boys and girls aged 3-18 (boarding from age 9) with under 350 pupils. It feels like a large family where every individual is valued and encouraged to be their very best, whatever their talents.
In 80+ acres of glorious, safe parkland, Stonar is just 8 miles from the UNESCO World Heritage city of Bath and 1.5 hours from London (train/car), nestled in the Wiltshire countryside. These idyllic surroundings ensure pupils live, play and learn in rural surroundings, free from traffic, pollution, crime and the distractions of city life. Yet, they are also able to easily and independently reach towns and cities including Bath, Bristol and London and so can lead a more normal teenage life. They can go out with friends on weekends and after school to enjoy shopping, cinemas and restaurants.
Academically, Stonar is not highly selective but discerning. Despite our wide intake of academic abilities, Stonar is acclaimed as:
- in the top 7 UK schools for STEM teaching (Independent School Magazine June 2017)
- in the top 10% of all schools for value-added results for 8 consecutive years (Durham University’s CEM)
- one of the few schools to encourage taking dance, drama and music at GCSE – turning out many professional performing arts alumni
- achieving “Excellent” ratings across the board, with full compliance, in its November 2018 ISI Inspection.
In small classes with wonderful care for each individual, we help your children achieve their best in the classroom, in performing arts, in horseriding, sports and in life. Whatever their passion is, we nurture and promote it, enabling young people to become the very best they can be, in whatever field.
- 2018 50% at grades 7-9 (A* or A) GCSE with several achieving more than 10 grade 9s
- 2018 37% of Physics grades were awarded at GCSE
- “Stonar is all about the value added to a pupil’s education; where other schools say they nurture each individual, Stonar actually does the job.” - Senior School School Parent
- “Pupils are confident, highly considerate and respectful towards others ... social development is outstanding, enhanced by their excellent relationship with teachers.” – ISI November 2018
- “She was told by other schools that she wouldn’t pass English; she got an A grade – Stonar promised this support at the start and have stuck to it.” - Year 13 Parent
c.80% of pupils are British; the remainder coming from 18 countries, guaranteeing full immersion in English language and culture. We have a healthy British boarding population, no exeat weekends, a full weekend programme, a thriving summer school and the opportunity to stay at half terms and Easter.
Our boarding and recreational facilities are of high quality and have benefitted from substantial investment. We have a newly-refurbished gym, dance studio, Astroturf pitches, theatre performance space, multipurpose indoor sports hall and outdoor basketball courts, a dedicated Sixth Form Form centre, cafe, bar, on-site medical centre and of course our highly-rated equestrian centre with indoor and outdoor schools, showjumping arenas and extensive cross-country course.
- “no-one can hold a candle to Stonar’s equestrian programme” - Tatler
- Private School Magazine voted Stonar the top school for aspiring equestrians May 2017
Stonar is probably most famous for its equestrian programme. Alongside the pupils and staff, some 65 horses live at the school. This enables pupils to learn all about riding and caring for horses alongside their academic studies. We take young people from absolute beginners to Olympic level and offer a wide range of qualifications, from Pony Club tests to BHSAI.
We offer a wide range of sports - most of them equally for both boys and girls - including basketball, badminton, hockey, football, swimming, dance, netball, tennis, athletics, horseriding, cricket and more – but are not a school which forces older students to participate and compete in “traditional” boarding school sports. Stonar encourages a healthy lifestyle but is not aggressively competitive. We support those who have a particular sporting talent and have close relationships with local clubs and coaches to enable those who want to compete at a regional, national or international level to do so.
- Preparatory School, Nursery & Pre-Prep School, Senior School, Sixth Form
Please login to view all listing details!